Question
Posted by: Lucy | 2007/03/22

Obesity,Cholestrol,shortness of breath

Good day.

One of my clients are diagnosed with Obesity,Cholestrol, hiprtension,hipotireose. What exercise plan can he follow, he also have shortness of breath. Will jou please help.

Lucy

Hi Lucy

He needs to see a doctor, first and foremost, because the shortness of breath, combined with his other symptoms are classic indicators of some problem, that may very well be serious. So it's really important that he, of all people, obtain medical clearance to exercise.

Once that is done, it's likely he will be placed on some sort of medication, to treat the cholesterol and blood pressure, in particular. These medicines may have contra-indications for exercise and so you would need to familiarize yourself with those before you design the programme.

Assuming all this is done, your client is probably quite badly intolerant to exercise and will struggle to do anything vaguely high-intensity. So walking is probably the level where he will have to begin, and that's fine. I woudl suggest something along the lines of some very light walking, maybe for 5 minutes, some stretching exercises, followed by various other activities to achieve general fitness - I'm not sure exactly what qualifications or in what capacity you are working - can you, for example, give pezzi ball/core classes and stretches.

The main thing, though, is that you must err on the side of caution, and that begins with your client getting medical clearance to train from a doctor. Once that is out of the way, then you move to very light exercise, based mostly on what your client can tolerate. I suspect it will be very easy cycling and walking to begin with, with long rest periods and short bouts of exercise.