Question
Posted by: still | 2007/04/17

obesed

my bmi is 32 and i'm onyl 29 this happen after my second baby i'm trying to exercise,drinking water,eating right,even take pills to supress appiteti, but nothing is helping i don't loose weight,is the something wrong with me?

Dear Still
There can be many reasons why you are not losing weight: a) your food intake may still contain more energy than you are using up and thus hamper weight loss, b) you may be suffering from a hormone imbalance (thyroid underactivity, insulin resistance (IR), female hormone imbalance like polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Please see your gynae or gp and ask him/her to test for hormone imbalances. If you do suffer from IR or PCOS which is usually accompanied by IR then it is important for you to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your Ir and/or PCOS and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Regular daily aerobic exercise (cardio, rowing, spinning, treadmill, swimming and cycling, joining Walk for Life or going for brisk walks for 30 or more minutes a day) will burn energy, lower your blood glucose and insulin levels, and help you to lose weight.