Question
Posted by: Fat Freddy | 2003/02/11

Obese? No Way!

Dear Doc

As most people do, I made a New Year's Resolution to (a) get fit and (b) to lose some weight. For context, I am male, 45 years old and I weigh 95 Kgs and I am 1.78 meters in height. Using the BMI, I am flabbergasted to find that I am 'obese'.

This cannot be. I wear a size 34 trouser (admittedly a teeny bit tighter than it should be) and most of my off-the-shelf stuff is "large". I do have a fattish tummy but it is not one of those protuberant, huge beer bellies. In fact, most people don't think I need to lose weight. But perhaps thats because clothing can be falttering but I think you may see what I mean.

Actually, since beginning my very own programme - joined a gym, slavishly go 4 times a week, stopped eating all junk food, no alcohol ect - I lost 3 kgs (used to be 98 but now 95).

Finally, at the risk of being paranoid, I've started eating honey - in my cereal, in yogurt etc. Is honey a beneficial substitute for sugar? How fattening is sugar anyhow?

Dear Freddy
Well done for losing those 3 kg in such a short time - keep up the good work. By reducing your energy intake and doing that exercise you will lose more weight. To reach a normal BMI of 25, you need to weigh 79kg, so keep at it. There is not very much difference between honey and sugar - honey has an energy content of 64 kJ/5g or per teaspoon, while sugar contains 81 kJ/5g or per teaspoon - honey thus contributes slightly less energy because it has a higher water content of 17% compared to 0,5% in sugar, i.e. sugar is a more concentrated form of energy. There is no harm in using a teaspoon of sugar or honey on your cereal or yoghurt if this makes high-fibre cereals and unsweetened low-fat yoghurt more palatable.