Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2008/01/10

Obese, Diabetic, High Blood, Gout

Dear Diet Doc,

I am Desperate and very down, as I have been married to a man that is major over-weight (plus minus 200KG). When I met him he was overly weight but never this bad and since he has been diagnosed diabetic the weight just became more. The trouble is that the weight problem started when he was young, his family owned a Fast food business and so he would help him self to what ever he wanted, his siblings are also over weight but not as bad as what he is. He also has High Blood pressure that started in the beginning when I met him, then 4 years into our marriage diabetic a year later gout. The other problem is he smoked as well. I have got to the stage where I get so frustrated because every one is on about his weight, I have even spoken to him and it just does not seem to get any better. I asked him to please go and see a doctor as it was passed the stage where I could tell him just to join a weigh-Less program. He came back telling me that the doctor said he had water retention and prescribed tablets. 1. how does one get through to him that he is OBESE and 2. that when you weigh (plus minus 200KG) it all can not surely be water retention? I have started getting up early in the morning to prepare breakfast for us which is Oats. I pack lunch and snacks in for him as well but again I don't know if I am packing in too much. I pack 2 peaches, 3 sandwiches with smoked chicken, gherkins & Tomato on Rye bread with a little margarine and a dash of mayo. I also pack in a small tub of yogurt with swiss muesli. At the end there is so much I can only do. He does not get any exercise. Who does one go to with a problem like this? Please can you help.

Regards,
Desperate

Dear Desperate
I feel for you and your hubby who really needs to look facts in the eye about his weight. Unfortunately the only person on earth who can take the decision to do something about his weight is your husband. Sit him down and tell him that you are concerned that he is going to die because of his overweight and that it is now up to him to do something about this problem - you need to step away because he may enjoy all the care and worry you are lavishing on him. Try a bit of reverse psychology for a change. And get him to watch 'The Biggest Loser' - a TV programme that is aired on E-TV on Mondays at 8 pm - this should open his eyes. If he is so grossly overweight then he actually need to be treated by a team consisting of a physician and a dietitian. But first get him to take responsibility for his own problem.
Hang in there