Question
Posted by: nonkosi | 2008/02/02

obese and parepleglic!!!

Dear Dr, before my MVA in 2006 I weighed 125kg. Im 32 and paraplegic obviously confined in a wheel chair. The doctors said there is a 75% chance that I may walk again. Both at the hospital and the Rehabilitation centre I was told and constantly reminded to try and move my body around in the best way I can to prevent pressure sores. That I have been cautious about, and have been taking proper look out since I was discharged from the hospital.

My problem is my weight is balooning, sitting around doing nothing ( I mean I don't ask people for help I manage on my own), but I need to cut down these unneccessary kilos. I attend physio 8 times a month, however my Physiotherapist also mentioned that these sessions may go down the drain, if I don't do anyting about my weight. From then I have been wondering what diet to use, but diets goes with strict exercise programmes, which I cannot perform.

Do you perhaps have any suggestions, please help.
Thanking you in advance.

Expert ImageHandicap Expert

Dear Nonkosi

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I suggest that you purchase an arm ergonometer, as well as light weights, in order to burn calories. You can also loose weight by pushing your wheelchair for far distances.

Please remember that you should also follow a well balanced diet. You can consult a Dietrician to assist you with a diet.

Kind regards