Question
Posted by: steps | 2004/03/10

obese

I am a female, 42yrs old overweight for yrs now, tried several dietclubs and a dietician absolute no success, i just seems to get no turning point in my life where i can say to myself hey this is now enough, i will start with a excercise walking program going strong for 6 months and then suddenly stops, only to continue a few months later or a year. I know i must do a lifestylechange but it seems impossible for me, do you think i need shrink?

Dear steps,
I'm surprised our other readers haven't joined in on this issue, yet. Nobody out there ever tried to lose weight or get rid of bad habits ? I don't believe it.
As you've discovered, losing weight, like stopping smoking is not so much a problem of stopping / losing weight, but of staying stopped, and staying at the lower weight. Lifestyle change is not easy, but is definitely possible. A good psychologist ought to be able to work with you, to make a concrete plan for the necessary life-style changes, support for keeping to them, and so on, tailoring it to you and your specifics.