Posted by: Me | 2004/01/12


Hi Doc

Maybe I should be talking to Cyber Shrink about this but I will first wait to hear what you have to say. I have a sister who realy has a problem with her weight she is in her twenties and is now up to a size 44-46 in clothing. She goes to work in the morning buys all sorts of junk food then comes home has a huge unhealthy supper and goes and lies on the couch for the rest of the evening. She is unhappy with herself but isnt doing anything about it. We have started to think that she is suffering from depression because my mom and dad got devorced a few years ago because he was having an affair and got the girl pregnant. She is younger that my sister. We are realy worried about her because her health is suffering under all of this weight. She cant breathe properly any more, can hardly get up to go to the toilet and gets out of breath. She is thinking of having a baby this year but I dont know if this would be a good thing in her condition. How can I help?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Me
Psychological factors can play an important role in the development of obesity. Depression is one of the conditions that can either cause pronounced weight gain in some patients or weight loss on others. I think your sister should consult both a clinical psychologist and a clinical dietitian. Ask Cyber Shrink about the psychological aspects of this case. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian. It is essential for your sister to first regain her psychological and physical health (the latter by using the proper diet and exercising) BEFORE she falls pregnant. She needs to take her unborn child's health and future welfare into account, not just her own present condition.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.