Question
Posted by: Me | 2004/01/12

Obese

Maybe I should be talking to Cyber Shrink about this but I will first wait to hear what you have to say. I have a sister who realy has a problem with her weight she is in her twenties and is now up to a size 44-46 in clothing. She goes to work in the morning buys all sorts of junk food then comes home has a huge unhealthy supper and goes and lies on the couch for the rest of the evening. She is unhappy with herself but isnt doing anything about it. We have started to think that she is suffering from depression because my mom and dad got devorced a few years ago because he was having an affair and got the girl pregnant. She is younger that my sister. We are realy worried about her because her health is suffering under all of this weight. She cant breathe properly any more, can hardly get up to go to the toilet and gets out of breath. She is thinking of having a baby this year but I dont know if this would be a good thing in her condition. How can I help?

Dear Me
Psychological factors can play an important role in the development of obesity. Depression is one of the conditions that can either cause pronounced weight gain in some patients or weight loss on others. I think your sister should consult both a clinical psychologist and a clinical dietitian. Ask Cyber Shrink about the psychological aspects of this case. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian. It is essential for your sister to first regain her psychological and physical health (the latter by using the proper diet and exercising) BEFORE she falls pregnant. She needs to take her unborn child's health and future welfare into account, not just her own present condition.