Question
Posted by: Brit | 2004/01/20

Oats

Dear Diet Doc

This morning I had oats for breakfast. I cooked 250ml oats with 250ml water. Is this equivalent to 2 portions of carbohydrates?

Thank You.

Dear Brit
In diabetic diets, 3 tablespoons (45g) of a dry cereal like oats which produces 1/2 cup of cooked cereal is regarded as 1 carbohydrate exchange. I estimate that 250 ml of dry oats weighs 180g (check this weight yourself), thus you would have eaten 4 carbohydrate exchanges or portions. 1/2 cup of COOKED cereal is one carbohydrate exchange or portion.

2
Posted by: Brit | 2004/01/20

I know 125ml of oats is one carb portion but is this cooked or uncooked?

I'm afraid that I might have eaten 4 carb portions for breakfast insted of 2.

Reply to Brit
Posted by: Celeste | 2004/01/20

Hi. 20gm of raw oats is equivelent to one portion of carb. 100gm of cooked oats (made with water) is one carb. That's how I work out how much to eat..

Reply to Celeste