Posted by: OA | 2008/07/28

OA in knees - what exercises?

I have bad osteoarthritis in both knees. I am only 31 years of age. I am not overweight. I have daily pain and discomfort and are taking Flexeze and pain killers as prescribed by my specialist. Due to my age the FDr does not want to operate at this stage. I want to know if I may use the power plate machine for exercise or not? Wont the vibrations move the lose bones and pieces of cartilage (both of which are very clearly seen on the X-rays taken of both my knees) and make it worse? May I attend spinning classes or should I rather cycle on a stationary bike at my own pase? I' ve tried the health walker / cross trainer but it caused a lot of pain in my knees so I quit using that. I do not like swimming and have no intention of swimming at the gym. Thank you for your help.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear OA
The Powerplate can be quite vicious on the joints and I would recommend something like Pilates which is much more gentle and are good for mobilising the joints- get an expert instructor to do this. Walking is also good, but you need good shoes and start off gently- Spinning is a bit hectic!

Posted by: Healthy Bones Expert | 2008/08/04

Beste Susan
Jy doen al die regte dinge. Jy kan dalk ook ' n bietjie Pilates oefening probeer- dit is goe vir die gewrigte. Sommige vrouens sê  hulle voel beter met hormoonvervanging en ander sê  weer dit vererger dit. Jy mag dalk reg wees dat dit in jou geval so ' n bietjie gehelp het.

Reply to Healthy Bones Expert
Posted by: Susan | 2008/07/29

Ek is 59 jaar en het OA- ek gebruik op die oomblik Celebrex,
Athro Guard- en af en toe Norflex- dit voel party dae die eina
in my heupe en elmboe- ek drink ook ' n kalsium aanvulling in
poeier vorm, en as die weer dit toelaat stap ek, my rumatoloog
het aanbeveel dat ek op ' n gelyk pad stap, en doen so
5 minute opwarmingsoefening met gewiggies in die oggend.
Is daar nog iets wat ek kan doen, of is genoemde voldoende.
Verbeel ek my of het dit erger geword nadat ek my hormoon-
pille gelos het.

Reply to Susan