Question

Nuzak and Sleeping Tabs

I am currently on 25mg Nuzak each morning and at night I take 1 sleeping tablet called Ado-Zolpiderm. I have become very reliant on the Adco and find that I cannot sleep without it. I have recently heard of Valerian, which is a natural source of medication used to "come off" sleeping tablets. However, it is advised not to take Valerian if I am anti-depressants. Why can I not use it and what else is there if this is not suitable?

Dear anon
You can use Biral which contains Valerian. Try weaning yourself off the Zolpidem by taking 3/4 at night, then 1/2 and then 1/4 - it is difficult to stop cold turkey. Although they claim that it is not really addictive I have still to find a patient that can just stop taking it immediately. Zolpidem has a short half life - which makes it better to use than any other sleeping tablets if you have no other choice.