Question
Posted by: Izel | 2004/09/27

Nuts and peanuts.

Hallo

I would like to know if I can eat nuts everyday, and if yes, how much? I just love them, but I am 10 kg overweight, thus can this be the problem. I do gym 3 times a week for 45-60min.
I know I should eat 2200 cal per day, but how many cal. hide in nuts?

Dear Izel
Nuts are an excellent food being high in monounsaturated fats, but they do have rather a high energy content, namely about 580 kcal on average per 100g. If you only eat 30g a day, then you would obtain 174 kcal from such a portion, which works out to about 8% of your daily energy requirement. If you are trying to lose weight you need to reduce your daily energy intake to about 1500 to 1700 kcal and it may be more prudent to only eat your 30g portion of nuts every second day.

2
Posted by: Lez | 2004/09/29

Yes, the info on the packet tells you they're high in fat .... what they don't tell you is that it's the good fat. Like the doc said, monounsaturated fat .... which is the good fat. I've been told that all plant fats are good fats, so it's cool, don't be scared of them nuts .... just don't go overboard :)

Reply to Lez
Posted by: Angela | 2004/09/28

Hello

Nuts are quite fattening if you look at the info on the packet.

Reply to Angela