Question
Posted by: Far from home | 2007/07/25

Nutritional value of rice noodles

I am currently living in an Asian country and have rice noodles on a daily basis. I need to loose a lot of weight, and I do not want to overdo it on the starches. I need to know how rice noodles equates to something like rice or pasta.
Thx

Dear Far From Home
Although the SA Food Tables do not list rice noodles, I would suspect that there is very little difference in energy value between western type cooked noodles or spaghetti (590 kJ or 141 cal per 100g), and rice noodles. Keep in mind that when you are trying to lose weight, you need to reduce your energy and fat intakes, not necessarily your carbohydrate intake. Carbs and protein provide 17 kJ (4 cal) per gram, while fat provides 37 kJ (9 cal) per gram - a considerable difference. Try to limit your fat intake as much as possible, reduce the total amount of what you eat and increase your energy output by doing exercise to lose weight.