Question
Posted by: Bodybuilder J | 2007/05/23

Nutrition for bodybuilder

Hi, I am a bodybuilder who is 5'9 91kgs with a low 8% body fat. My knowledge of eating the right foods and meal timing is pretty good but I want to know from an expert like yourself how much a bodybuilder with my stats should eat and how much protein to maintain my muscle? I put my body under a lot of stress so I also supplement with multivitamins 2x a day and b complex.

Dear Body Builder J
After attending a course on 'Sports Nutrition' at the University of Potchefstroom, I have written a series of articles on 'Diets for Sportsmen and women' which you can access by clicking on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition'. Read the articles on proteins and carbs, esp carbo-loading as most top athletes tend to ingest too much protein and not sufficient carbs to sustain their exercise programmes. In each article mention is made of how much protein or carbohydrate body builders require at various stages of their training. Don't overdo your protein intake as this can damage the kidneys.