Question
Posted by: Letitia | 2007/04/03

Nutrition & Chemo Therapy

My mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer last year. She received chemo therapy - needless to say the side effects caused her to almost disintegrate in body weight. Her kidneys were severely affected but she recovered after the chemo. A week ago after testing for recurrence of the cancer, the news was bad. The cancer has spread and she will have to start with chemo therapy shortly.

My question is: What supplementation can she take to increase her immunity? She could not hold down food the last time with the chemo. (Under normal circumstances her diet consist of mainly raw fruit and veggies, white meat and lots of water)

Dear Letitia
I am so sorry to hear about your dear mother's illness. It is imperative that cancer patients who are undergoing drastic chemotherapy which affects their food intake, appetite and body weight should consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to guide your mother through the chemotherapy and afterwards ensure that she recovers. This is not something I can do for you over the Internet as there are many factors that have to be taken into account (what type of chemo she will receive, her present body weight, food aversions, etc).
So please take her to see a dietitian before she starts the chemo.
Holding thumbs for both of you.