Posted by: Desperate | 2007/05/27


My Mom was involved in a car accident a month ago. She spent 3 weeks in hospital where she was on a drip and "liquid diet" as she had sustained fractures to her jaw. The jaw has now been operated on and for the next two weeks she may still not eat any solid foods. I'm concerned as she loosing a lot of weight. I give her Cup of soup,Drinking Yogurt, Ensure, Milo but I'm not sure the she's getting the nutrion she needs. She does not like fruit juices.

She also sustained a broken ankle, shoulder and a brain contusion in the accident.

Could you please give me some advise?


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Desperate
I can understand that you are feeling stressed about your dear Mom after her accident. She can continue with soups (puree them in a blender and add slightly more liquid such as milk to make them easier to swallow), the drinking yoghurt, Ensure, a variety of milk drinks such as Milo or Chocolate. If you have a liquidiser you can theoretically liquidise most foods for her (fruit, cooked or canned vegetables, thin porridges, and meat), just always ensure that you dilute them with milk or stock until she can swallow them easily. She can also have melted ice cream and you can make delicious shakes for her by liquidising fresh or canned fruit or avos (high in energy) adding some sugar and full-cream milk. Once you have liquidised the ingredients add another 2-3 tablespoons of full-cream milk powder to the shake and process for about 1 min. The addition of the full-cream milk powder increases the nutritive and the energy value of the drink. Thin custards made with full-cream milk and egg should also be easy to swallow. Jellies and desserts made with fresh or Ideal milk will also boost her energy intake. You can basically prepare a whole days food for her as long as each dish is liquidised and diluted.
Hope this helps and the you dear Mom will soon be well recovered.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: desperate mum | 2007/05/28

17 yr old in matric, stressed out and losing weight. which multivitamin can u prescribe plse. desperate...

Reply to desperate mum

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.