Our expert says:
Please see the tips below to ensure maximum performance – take special note of the highlighted points to answer your questions.
• Make sure that you ingest 400-800 ml of water per hour during the race. Replace 20 mmol/l of sodium per hour which will only partially replace the salt lost.
• Consume 50-60g carbs per hour during the race.
• Carbo load 3 days before the race by consuming 8-10g carbs per kilogram of body weight. Split this intake over 6 meals.
• Reduce fibre in your diet 24 hours before the race
• Eat a pre-race meal 2-3 hours beforehand – high in carbs & low in fat – e.g. fruit and yoghurt. If you cannot stomach food before the event make sure you follow point 2.
• Start the race well hydrated: consume 250 – 500 ml of a carbohydrate-electrolyte drink immediately before the race.
• Ingest lots of high GI carbs after the event to refill the glycogen stores. Also add some protein and salty foods to replace the lost sodium.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.