Question
Posted by: NET | 2003/01/06

NUTRIONALLY DENSE FOOD

Can you please tell me which one vegetable is the most nutritionally dense that will provide the most vitamins and minerals for the day. I have heard that sweet potato is the king of the vegetable kingdom but I don't see why - it provides allot of Vitamin A and C but not much else. I want to lower my calories but still get in as much vitamins and minerals as my body needs. As far as I can see the one vegetable seems to be broccoli because it provides allot of Vitamin C and K and all the other vitamins and minerals (in small quantities though) with the exception on the vitamins B12 and D. Green peas (eg 150 g) provide the largest amount of vitamins and minerals overall with no one vitamin exceeding another so is this a good choice or not. I always thought peas had very little value. It looks to me like the only thing fruit is good for is vitamin A and C. I cont find a fruit that provides ample of a combination of nutrients and peaches and apples seem to be a waist of time to eat because they provide hardly any vitamin C or A (or anything else for that matter) compared to other fruit. I am more then willing to eat different fruits and vegetables to get the benefits of all of them but I seem to land up with a high vitamin A and C level from all the fruit and not much else. I don't want to eat things like peaches where I could be eating the same amount in grams of something else and get more nutrition of of it. So if you were stuck on a island and had only 3 fruits and 3 vegetables to choose from, what would they be?

Are bean sprouts an option and if so which beans are the best. Can I eat them if I have a spastic colon?

Dear Net
Wow, I feel quite exhausted and this so early in the year! The trick when it comes to a balanced diet is to eat a VARIETY OF FOODS, and not just concentrate on one or two. You have listed all kinds of popular nutrients, but have forgotten all about bioflavonoids, dietary fibre, etc. If I were stuck on a desert island, I would choose sweet potatoes for their high beta-carotene and dietary fibre and flavonoids, oranges for their vit C (I wouldn't like to get scurvy on this desert island), and flavonoids, tomatoes for vit C and lycopene, yellow peaches for their beta-carotene and bioflavonoid contents and grapes to make red wine for its polyphenol content and potatoes for their basic filling properties and their potential selenium content (when the potato crop failed in Ireland, the entire population starved, developed scurvy and the survivors had to move to the USA).
Please don't try to narrow down your fruit and vegetable intake to only 1 or 2 varieties. Life would be so boring if we ate the same old things all the time and always remember that there are plenty of undiscovered nutrients in fresh foods.
I reckon you will have to do a trial run with those bean sprouts to see if they cause you discomfort, as these reactions are often individual.
Variety is the spice of life!

1
Posted by: Herbal Health | 2003/01/06

Try this site for the info you are looking for: http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/~nutrican/tables.html
Yours in health.

Reply to Herbal Health