Question
Posted by: Gerald | 2003/03/06

Numbness in mouth/throat

I often get a feeling of numbness in my gums and throat during different times of the day, usually in the afternoon and evening. This is sometimes accompanied by a numb feeling around my eyes as well. I used to alleviate the problem by drinking coffee but it is no longer working and I doubt that it has anything to do with a craving for caffeine. At the same time as this I sometimes also experience a blushed feeling around my face (a feeling of heat as though I have exercised) and heavy sweating regardless of any whether conditions. I spoke to a pharmacist but he doesen't think it has anything to do with an allergy as I suspected. Could this be a vitamin deficiency or do I need a blood test to determine any abnormalities? I know these details may seem vague and general but is it possibly a symptom of anything?

Gerald, I can’t make a diagnosis without examining you first and I have a suspicion that it will take more than just a physical examination to get to the bottom of this. The best would be to see a specialist physician and have it sorted out. Good luck.