Question
Posted by: Ali | 2007/11/26

Numbness in forearm after fall.

My son slipped and his arm went through a pain of glass nearly two months ago. He had stiches to close the wound etc. but is still complaining that from his wrist to half way down his forearm its still numb. He says it's a horrible feeling when he rubs, scratches or even touches it.
Please could you tell me what the cause of this could be and what to do? He's over in London at the moment hence the reason he can't go back to the hospital.

Dear Ali
He probably severed one of the superficial nerves - this normally regrows with time but can take up to 18 months. BUT if he has any loss of muscle function he urgently needs to see an orthopedic surgeon.