Question
Posted by: ruth | 2007/08/07

numbness in finger tips

hi there.
my dad is an extremely active person and a fitness fanatic. he is 48. he has trained about 4 - 5 times a week since he was in his teens..weights and cardio..as well as mountain climbing etc..he is also a handyman so does many jobs that involve heavy lifting etc...
recently he has been complaining of numbness in his fingertips and hands at night and recently said his leg was also numb one night. he has lost about 10 kilo's in the last six months but this may be because he has just opened his own handiman business and is now more active in the day than he was.
i am quite worried about the numbness but he seems to not want to have it looked at.
please let me know possible causes and what it could be and if it is serious?

Dear Ruth
This can be caused by a pinched nerve in the wrist or the neck, diabetes, vitamin shortage. His weight loss is worrying if he did not specifically go on a diet to lose weight - I really think he needs to see a doctor for a good medical evaluation.