Question
Posted by: SAMANTHA | 2010/11/15

NUMBNESS

HI DOC

I HAVE JOINED THE GYM ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO BUT USUALLY WORK OUT ABOUT 3 DAYS A WEEK.
SINCE LAST WEDNESDAY I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING LESS FEELING IN MY LEGS, THIS WKEND, I STARTED FEELING IT IN MY ARMS. ITS DIFFICULT TO EXPLAIN. IT FEELS LIKE WHEN YOU HAVE PINS AND NEEDLES AND THE POKING FEELING HAS LEFT, YOU HAVE THIS FEELING OF SLIGHT NUMBNESS, THATS THE TYPE OF FEELING I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING. I FEEL IT ALOT ON MY LEGS WHEN I JUST GET OFF THE TREADMILL. DURING THE DAY I FEEL IT ON AND OFF ON MY LEGS AND RECENTLY HANDS.

I DO ALOT OF WEIGHT TRAINING AND SPEND ABOUT 10 MINS ON THE TREADMILL ON A MEDIUM GRADIENT FOR BRISK WALKING.

IS THIS NORMAL FOR FIRST TIME GYMERS??

Hi Samantha

Does it happen only immediately after your training? Or is it the whole day? It could either be circulation, or neural. if you only experience after training, like when you get off the treadmill, then I'd say it's more likely circulation - your body is sending blood to the skin and over time, that will become less apparent and you won't feel that numbness.

However, if it's throughout the day,then it's more likely neural. Now, I don't know exactly what might have caused this. It is strange that it's both arms and legs - often a pinched nerve in the back affects one or the other, I've not heard of both being affected.

It could also be completely unrelated to the exercise, perhaps the change in temperatures now that it's warming up is a possible cause. it may also be something in the diet (or a lack of something in the diet affecting nerve endings). You might consider giving it another week, and if it persists, or gets any worse, then I'd suggest seeing a doctor. Somehow I don't feel that exercise is the cause, but maybe the catalyst for whatever is causing it.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/11/17

Hi Samantha

Reply to fitnessdoc