Question
Posted by: megan | 2007/12/12

numb fingers

I recently had my christmas function and after a couple of drinks my fingers were numb. I do suffer with pins and needles in my fingers and was wondering whether the above is related to it or not. My doctor wants me to go for an MRI but I am scared and if the above is related, I am really scared.

Dear megan
Numbness of the fingers are usually caused by pinching of the ulnar or median nerve in the wrist or the elbow, or the nerve root in the neck. Go for the MRI, as you may need a small operation to decompress the nerve. I don't think it is related to the drinks - maybe the way you held the glass?
dr BEts