Question
Posted by: samantha | 2005/01/10

Now what

Hi There,

After using Provera for 10 days, I finally received my period today (day 12). What now?, should I start counting 14 days from today?

I assume you have not had regular periods before. The fact that you had a period induced by Provera, does not mean that you are ovulating. If you are trying to fall pregnant, you should have a progesterone test on Day 21 .

1
Posted by: Golly | 2005/01/11

Samantha,

You could do that although I don't know how effective it will be since you seem to have irregular periods due to lack of ovulation or irregular ovulation. Have you been ttc for long?

I would suggest that you see your gynae on day 12 of this cycle (day one is date of period start). Ask that he/she perform an internal sonar (not all doctors have this facility) to determine if you have any follicles (growing eggs) in your ovaries. If the doc spots a follicle, they will be able to measure it and tell you when the follicle is most likely to be release the egg. You can then time intercourse around that date.

If the doc does not observe a follicle, you may ask to be given some ovary stimulation drugs (Fertomid, Clomid, etc.) to try and stimulate egg production. I'm not sure if you need to wait for the next cycle or can start on the drugs right then. It all depends on how long you have been trying to fall pregnant and what type of doc you have. Do you visit a fertility specialist? This may be a wise choice if you have been ttc for more than a year and suffer from PCOS or other fertility problems.

All the best!

Reply to Golly