Posted by: Dee | 2010/08/31



My BF resigned on the 19th August and gave the comp 24hrs notice which he worked his last day on the 20th Aug. Now today he was supposed to get paid they told him come fetch his cheque when he got there he was given a payslip(with a minus balance), which they have taken his 20days, overtime that he worked for and leave days and now they say he owes them R266 because he didn''t serve a month''s notice.

Can they really do that ? A normal working month is 20 days excluding weekends, doesn''t he supposed to get a salary for the days he worked for and maybe they can take his overtime and leave days to cover the 5 days he didn''t work.

Ps: Comp he was working for it''s a family business

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageLabour lawyer


In terms of the Basic Conditions of Employment Act, no one may deduct your notice pay from your actual salary. You can complain to the Department of Labour and get an inspector to follow it up as quickly as possible.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: anon | 2010/10/01

the expert is right, they cannot deduct money BUT if he was required to give a months notice (If he was employed longer than a year) then he is liable for that

Reply to anon

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.