Question
Posted by: muffin | 2004/10/14

Not so excited pregnancy

I couldn't fall pregnant for a very long time and just assumed i'm infertile. I never bothered to pay att. as to when I menstruate etc. So imagine my suprise a couple of weeks ago when I found out I'm pregnant. Of course I was and still am happy. Somehow it made me feel more complete, if that makes any sense. But now I just think about how much my life is going to change. i know it's selfish and my husband thinks I'm just a pessimist. But I cannot wait for the next 7 months to fly by so that I can get back to some sort of normality, but it's like I know that "normality" will never be the same. I read what others write in on this forum about how excited they feel but I don't share that feeling really.
Yesterday I was kinda telling my husband how I feel and he asked me if I would be able to love the child. I was thinking Is he mad? Of course I will love the child.It's just that I think I'm supposed to be more over the moon about it. Also I don't have any family to support me. It's just my husband and I, so maybe I'm expecting too much from him. It's like he can't understand why I don't just get on with it. Am I just mad or what?

Nope. your reaction is very common amongst other newly pregnant women. I would not worry about the way you feel. It would pass and I am sure you would make a great mother

6
Posted by: Sam | 2004/10/14

Pregnancy can play with your emotions big time. Hang in there and take it one day at a time. Try to keep yourself busy with hobbies etc. Becareful of Post Natal Depression. find out ways of dealing with it while its still early

Reply to Sam
Posted by: Bun in the oven | 2004/10/14

Hi Muffin,

Yes it is normal, however, if these feelings does not go away, please consider therapy. I also started having "the blues" with my first baby long before he was born. It became so bad that I ended up with full blown depression. (3 years after his birth) Your feelings could have something to do with the absence of your parents. Your life will never be the same, especially after the baby, so if you need help dealing with that ... now is the time.

Good luck!

Reply to Bun in the oven
Posted by: Jessica | 2004/10/14

Falling pregnant after 10 years, you give all of us hope, I've been trying for a year and it feels like forever!

I'm sure you were just unprepared and you will get used to the idea of having a little one to look after! I'm sure when he/she arrives you won't mind your lifestyle changing!

Good luck, remember to drink your folic acid and remember God has blessed you with this child, He knows that you are the right person to look after his little angel!

Jessica

Reply to Jessica
Posted by: muffin | 2004/10/14

I didn't look at it that way maybe I am just unprepared, after all it was unexpected and unplanned. Maybe like Francis said once the baby starts moving...who knows, i hope so.
10 years...

Reply to muffin
Posted by: Jessica | 2004/10/14

Really glad that you fell pregnant! :)

I think the reason why you are not so excited about it is because you already gave up hope,

Most of us on this website is going by month by month wishing it will be our turn, that is why we or lets rather say they are so excited when they find out that they are pregnant,

I really hope that all goes well with your pregnancy, it's a miracle that you fell pregnant after all this time, how long were you trying?

You will feel better, you are just unprepared,

Jessica

Reply to Jessica
Posted by: Francis | 2004/10/14

Hi muffin

don't worry, everybody is going through some sort of unhappiness throughout the pregnancy. I am worried that i won't give attention to my first child and that he will "hate" his brother or sister.

As soon as you start feeling your little one move and communicate with you, you will change your mind. you are still very early in pregnancy so your hormones are playing with you.

good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Reply to Francis