Question
Posted by: karin | 2005/07/06

not related but would you....

please help, i feel too embarrased to phone doc, about my baby she is 14 mnths and has had a fever of 38 now it is 39.4 rectally. she is a bit misrable but no other symptoms. do you feel i shld take her to doc, im scared he will think im sill, esp since james was only discharged from hosp this morn, please advice, i dont use the paed forum as they take too long to answer so thats why im asking you ladies, thanx xxx

You should definitely phone your doctor.

7
Posted by: Tracy | 2005/07/06

I would put baby in the bath firstly to try cool her down.

There is a supository (excuse spelling) that you get but I cant think of the name right now works like a dream better than panado/stopayne etc. try get from the chemist and then monitor baby.

Call your GP/Dr so that they are aware that baby has a temp so that if you call after hours he is not pissed off.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Tracy

Reply to Tracy
Posted by: karin | 2005/07/06

thanx so much, i have made a 2.15 appointment, will see what they say, i did put her in a cool bath(TEPID) and gave her ponstan this morning, it hasnt helped, im sure its just a throat thing, but as you say better safe than sorry, i hope that all the people out there see what a wonderful bunch you all are, thank-you again, will post later to let you know... xxxxx

Reply to karin
Posted by: Purple | 2005/07/06

I take my child to the doctor for a temperature of 39 or higher.

I do try using empapead supositories first though, and of course sponging down with tepid water, cool water to drink, letting him sit in just a nappy regardless of the weather.

I now keep voltarin suppositories at home as they work even better.

If the temp hasn't gone away after two days, I go in even if it is only 37.5. My son is 16 and 3/4 months now.

I asked a doctor once about "panicky mother syndrome". She said that pesonally, she would rather I came in every time my son sneezed than not come in and we miss something big. She said that no good doctor will be even slightly annoyed by someone who brings their child in for even things they think are minor.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Nuffing | 2005/07/06

Just give here a dose of calpol, or stopayne or panado, that should bring the fever down.

See how she is doing after a few hours, she'll either start getting better or the fever will return again...

Reply to Nuffing
Posted by: Poolnymph | 2005/07/06

Karin, take her to the Doc. If she hits 40 she could start with seizures (not to scare you). Rather safe than sorry.
Hope James and the babe are feeling better soon!!

God Bless and Lots of Love.

Reply to Poolnymph
Posted by: Lee | 2005/07/06

Hi there,

Please rather take her to the doc immediately. 38 is high enough to suspect something. I had to take my 6month old to the hospital a month ago with a temp of 39 and she was convulsing. With babies you dont know, sometimes in certain cases they can stop breathing and sometimes its just nothing,but rather play the safe side and take the little one. Dont at all think yourself stupid, you have the right to worry about your child no matter what. Please take her and let us know.

Take care!!!

Reply to Lee
Posted by: samantha | 2005/07/06

I would definitely phone the doc's rooms. Rather safe than sorry. Bugger what the doctor thinks, anyway he know you are not a neurotic mom, you can't be after having 4!

Reply to samantha