Question
Posted by: Niki | 2004/10/11

Not picking up weight

HI there,

I am 23 Yrs old and am very thin, i am a vegetarian and don't eat any meat as my religion does not allow me to, what can i eat to gain some weight, as i feel i look annerexic.

Thanks,
Niki

Dear Niki
Are you also not allowed to eat any diary products? or eggs? If so, this really poses a practically insolvable problem as most meal supplements that can be used to boost your energy intake do contain milk power and protein derived from milk and/or eggs. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Fresenius Kabi have a supplement called Fresubin (with or without fibre) that can assist with this problem. Phone Magda on (011) 203-2000 or 083-603-2231 and ask her about the Nutritional Supplements her company supplies and check with her if they contain ingredients that you can use.