Posted by: Em | 2008/10/22

Not losing weight or cm

I started gyming two months ago (although I had a short break after two weeks to write exams) and am trying to go 4 days a week. I am eating as healthily as I can and I am only eating max 3 portions of carbs a day. To date I have actually picked up about 1kg and have lost no cm!! I feel like giving up. When will I start seeing results? I picked up about 10kg when I went on Minerva (oral contraceptive) and have not gained anything since I changed to Yasmin (besides the 1kg since I started gyming). I was on Weighless 2 years ago and lost 4kg, but then picked it all up when I stopped it as it was just too much food and it started getting expensive. I am currently 26 and am 1.71m and weigh 75kg. When I was 19 I only weighed 58kg! What am I doing wrong????

Dear Em
Your present BMI = 25,7 which is just above the upper level of the normal range (18-25). It would be good to lose about 5 kg so that you would be back in the normal range. Unfortunately some women do gain weight when they use female hormone therapy like contraceptives. It may be a good idea to discuss the use of other types of contraception with your gynae. Cutting out carbs is not really going to assist weight loss because carbs on their own have a low energy content of only 16 kJ per gram. Fats on the other hand provide 37 kJ per gram - thus cutting down on fat intake will cause more weightloss. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). Keep up the exercise, but concentrate on doing cardio exercise like running, jogging, skipping, swimming, cycling, etc because helps to stimulate your metabolism. While you are on the ‘Weight loss’ site, read about every aspect of slimming (Diet pills, slimming aids, psychological aspects, etc) by surfing on this site.