Question
Posted by: Mommi | 2007/03/05

not losing weight - hypertension, heart

dietdoc,
i am in my 50's, had a stroke a year ago and had 2 stents inserted. i also suffer from high cholesterol and hypertension. i walk about 4km every day and eat healthy. i really need to lose weight for health reasons but i don't. is there any sort of appetite suppressant (or the like) that i can use that does not have a huge effect on blood pressure or any side-effectsto the heart as i seriously need to lose weight, tried everything and am really getting worried and desperate!
your feedback would be greatly appreciated!
sincerely
mommi

Dear Mommi
Unfortunately as you quite rightly point out, all appetite suppressants do have a negative effect on blood pressure. They are therefore a no-no. You will have to reduce your energy intake by reducing your fat intake (i.e. this will also make a great difference to your high cholesterol). I would suggest that you try the DASH Diet. Click on "Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and read about the DASH Diet which was developed in the USA to lower bp, and will also assist with weight loss and lowering cholesterol. If you find that this diet is not for you, please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to have a personal diet prescription worked out for you.
Keep up the good work with the exercise.

1
Posted by: Ange | 2007/03/06

Hey, what a coincidence; I was just reading up about this diet that is used when you have hypertension, that doesn't affect it and helps you lose weight. Search for the DASH diest on this site. Good Luck!

Reply to Ange