Question
Posted by: aunty | 2008/02/01

not losing weight

I have 2 children - my youngest is 6 months old. I put on a LOT of weight while I was pregnant - mainly because I couldn't exercise because of problems. Since I had my baby I have lost about 18 kg. I now weigh 68kg (I am 1.62 tall) and I want to weigh 60kg. The problem is I can't get off the 68kg mark. I eat 1400 - 1500 calories a day. I am a vegetarian (I do eat fish) and I only eat fat free foods. I take omega 3 & 6 supplements to make sure I get the good fats. I go to gym 4 times a week - were I run at 7.5km to 8km per hour for 25 minutes and then do 25 minutes of strength training. On the days that I don't go to gym I cycle at home for about 20 - 25 minutes. And I do yoga once a week. My body fat has dropped from 35% to 30%, but my waist and hip measurements (84 & 104) also aren't changing. So I don't seem to be getting leaner. I don't know what to do & I really want help - I have a whole cupboard full of clothes that I really want to be able to wear again!! How can I lose these last 8kg?

Dear Aunty
Your present BMI = 26 which is just above the upper level of normal. If you do manage to lose those 8 kg then you would have a practically ideal BMI of 23. Pregnancy can have this effect on some women who find that they struggle to lose weight afterwards. You are already doing all the correct things - reducing your energy intake to 1500 cal per day, eating fat-free foods and doing a remarkable amount of exercise. I can only suggest that you have your hormones tested (thyroid, insulin and female hormones) to see if you have an imbalance that may be hampering your weight loss. I would also suggest that you concentrate on doing aerobic or cardio exercises rather than strength training because the former exercises tend to burn more energy.
Holding thumbs that you start losing now