Question
Posted by: Annelize | 2007/07/24

Not losing weight

I am currently on a contraceptive called Depo Provera. I am told that this is the main reason why i am not losing weight. I do a cardio workout every morning for 40 minutes, i eat my 5 meals a day and i am using USN's weight loss products. In 4 months i've lost just a little over 1kg. Is there a better alternative? Before i started with the contraceptive i didnt struggle to maintain a healthy weight.

Dear Annelize
It is an unfortunate fact that hormonal contraceptives can either cause weight loss or weight gain depending on the reaction of the individual patient. You need to discuss this problem with the prescribing dr to see if he/she can change the contraceptive or suggest other methods of contraception that do not involve taking female hormones. Also check your food intake and supplements to see if you are not ingesting more than 6300 kJ per day as this may hamper weight loss. You don't mention your present weight in kg or height in metres so I can't work out your BMI to evaluated how overweight you are. If your weight is already in the normal range then you may struggle to lose. Keep up the 40 min of cardio every day as this prevents additional weight gain and stimulates your metabolism.