Posted by: L | 2004/10/14


I was bulimic for a couple of years, but I've been able to bring it under control myself and try hard not to do it, but now sometimes I think that maybe going back to my "old ways" is the only way out. I 've never been fat, but I have always been unhappy with my weight, and still am. My son is 21 months old now and although I put on 17 kg while I was pregnant with him, I lost 15kg of that and weighed about 55 when I returned back to work. I am 1.67m tall and now weighs 57kg, and I cannot explain the weight gain. I'm trying to loose just 3kg, but nothing seems to be working. I've tried not to weigh myself every day because that is just depressing if I weigh myself and some days even weigh more than the previous day. I still take sugar in my coffee, but do not use margarine/butter or any oils if I can help it. Can it perhaps be the sugar and should I change to canderal etc. I'll have a sandwich for breakfast or cereal and then I take 3-4 rusks to work for the rest of the day which I eat during the day. I've tried eating fruit and yogurt, but it seems to be making me hungry much quicker than the rusks. Is the rusks the problem. I drink at least 500ml of water some days more and others less. Please help, I know I do not have a weight problem but I need to lose this extra 3kg because I am so unhappy with myself. I do not want to go back to being bulimic again but some days I really consider it again as I just get so demotivated.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear L
Seeing that you present BMI = 20,4 which is below the ideal of 22 (you would have to weigh 61 kg), I would strongly advise you NOT to try and lose any additional weight. You are exhibiting all the symptoms of an eating disorder again - unrealistic assessment of your weight which is already low, obsession to lose more weight, depression, loss of control, use of a badly deficient diet bordering on starvation, etc. Please go for some professional help before you develop full-blown bulimia again. You owe it to your baby and yourself to stop this spiral before it is too late. Please consult a clinical dietitian and a clinical psychologist. Clinical psychologists are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you. He/she will help you to work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Teacher | 2004/10/16

Apparently, MOR's product does nothing for one's spelling ability.

Reply to Teacher
Posted by: MOR | 2004/10/14

CALL 768-7239

Reply to MOR
Posted by: Maryna | 2004/10/14

I have tried many products, spend thousands of rands & I don't loose weight.

Reply to Maryna

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.