Question
Posted by: Bee-bee | 2004/02/25

Not losing any weight!

Hello DietDoc,

I have gradually picked up a few kilos over the past three months, and am now desperate to get rid of them. I have been drinking 2litres of water a day, cut out all my bread, rice & potato and I dont come near chocolates and chips. For breakfast I have a bowl of Kelloggs with low-fat milk and one teaspoon of sugar and for lunch a salad with crackers and cottage cheese. At night I eat "normally" without going overboard.

After all this time, I have actually GAINED weight! Is this possible? It feels like I've completely wasted the last five weeks of effort.

Admittedly, I do not get any exercise, but I have an 18-month old that keeps me busy enough in the evening!

Please give me some advice.

Bee-bee

Dear Bee-Bee
Paradoxically your diet could be so low in energy that your body is turning off its weight loss mechanisms. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' and compare the low-fat, high-fibre diet with what you are eating and make the necessary changes. Do try and do some exercise like taking the toddler for brisk walks in the fresh air every day. If you have still not lost any weight after another month then I would suggest that you have a medical checkup to see if you are not suffering from hormone problems (thyroid, insulin or female hormone levels). If you should have an insulin problem then do consult a clinical dietitian as diet is the prime treatment for this kind of condition.