Posted by: Not in the mood | 2009/05/14

Not in the mood

I had a baby about 15months ago, since then I am never in the mood for sex anymore. Can it be hormone related and what can I do?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageSexologist

Dear Not in the mood,

It is a very common for woman after the birth of a child to experience a reduction of sexual desire. There are mutliple factors. Yes the hormonal shifts that still need to happen post delivery play a role, there is also evidence that after a birth a woman's body reduces in giving her physical cues of desire for sex in that she has completed the evolutionary function of procreation. Other factors like exhaustion that comes with the caring for a young infant, the impact of adapting to a child for the couple also play a role.

So firstly you need to know this is common and normal. You need to allow time to adapt to your child, ensure you have good support with taking care of your child. That you have some time to take care of yourself. To make arrangements for couple time. To keep in your mind that yes you are a mother, but you are also still a women, a friend, a lover etc.

Woman are also more often "receptive" to sex based on emotional/psychological needs such as to feel wanted, loved, affirmed, attractive, desired, intimacy, connection etc and less often based on physical cues from her body.
This becomes nore of a woman's experience after the birth of a child.

Based on this "receptivity" a woman may be open to the advances of her partner or make advances to her partner, motivated initially primarily by these emotional/psychological needs. Once intimacy gets underway and the woman receives the type of physical stimulation that physically arouses her, she will then become physically aroused and she then begins to experience the physical desire for further sexual pleasure in combination with the original emotional/psychological need.

I hope this helps.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.