Question
Posted by: TIED | 2004/01/15

NOT HUNGRY. WHY?

Doc. Since two weeks before new years I decided to cut down drastically on my calorie intake to try and loose the weight I had tried to loose all year with exercise and a 1800 calorie diet. Since then, I have lost 2.5 kg and am so happy. I though I was never going to loose it. The problem is, now that I have been eating less then what I use to I find that I'm not half has hungry as I use to be and will loose more weight which I do not want to do. I'm happy now. I have changed from eating cereals like oats and hi-fibre bran to eating things like carrot rye bread with some cottage cheese and tuna or chicken for breakfast. I have a fruit or two during the day and only round 3pm do I get hungry again. When I do I only need to eat something really small to feel full. Dinner is the same. What is the cause of me not being hungry anymore. Diet change or calorie intake change. My height is 1.68 and weight is now 52.5. I have stopped taking Diane 35 and now take Mirelle. Could this be the reason? I also started taking a chromium pill once a day?

Dear Tied
It is difficult to say why you have lost your appetite. Seeing that your present BMI = 18,6, which is just still within the normal range (18-25) I find it difficult to understand why you were trying to lose those 2,5 kg in the first place. It is never a good idea to reduce your weight to below your ideal weight for height which in your case is 62 kg! Please be careful that you don't fall into the dreadful trap of anorexia - this is one path you don't want to go down. Your appetite may have been affected by the change in hormone pills and also the chromium pill, or the fact that the carrot bread is very filling. Do start eating a greater variety of foods so that you don't develop deficiencies - e.g. add some low-fat milk and yoghurt to your diet to prevent a calcium deficiency.
Take care