Posted by: Jasmine | 2010/10/28

Not happy with Gynae!

I''m 26 yrs old...have been married 2 and a half yrs...went to a gynae for the first time a week husband and I have only slept with each other and have had no other partners. I was charged R880.00, she did not give me pap smear or check my breasts or give me an examination, and said I only need to have a check up in 4 yrs time. I have been off the pill for 1 and a half yrs and have not fallen pregnant, so she gave me tablets. I just feel she should have given me an examination. Is she right in not checking me or should I find another gynae?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

You are absolutely right that you should have been examined.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Purple | 2010/10/29

That is an exhorbitant cost for an appointment unless you had a scan.

Secondly, she should have done a pap smear and checked your breasts and so on, isn''t that why you went there in the first place. You should be having a pap smear every year from the time you become sexuallly active.

Thirdly, it doesn''t sound like she explained what medication she put you on, what it does, what consequences there can be and so on. If its Clomid, did she tell you that it increases your chances of multiple births.
Also, if you have been trying for a baby for 4 years without success, clomid probably won''t help - it stimulates ovulation, so you then have to check if you have ovulated and then have sex at that time.
If after 12 - 18 months of trying, nothing has happened, then they try clomid, they check if you are ovulating, the check your husbands sperm count and so on.

Ask around amongst your friends and try to find a more competent doctor who is interested in their job.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Pal | 2010/10/29

If you are not happy, find another gynae as you need to be comfortable during consultations.

Reply to Pal
Posted by: x | 2010/10/29

Absolutely ridiculous ! Never heard of such a thing.

Reply to x
Posted by: Claire | 2010/10/29

She should have given you a full examination. Why not give her a call and ask her why she didn''t.

Reply to Claire
Posted by: me | 2010/10/29

I would find another gynae.

Reply to me
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010/10/29

You are absolutely right that you should have been examined.

Best wishes

Reply to gynaedoc

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.