Question
Posted by: NunontheRun | 2004/01/28

Not happy with body<br>

Goodday Doc, just need some advise please...
for my whole life i have had a problem with my breast, they are too large and saggy, since they started to develop in std1. Now i am 24, still unhappy and this affect my confidence most of the time, especially infront of my boyfriend. He loves them, but i cannot stand them. I always cover them up. I have been considering breast lift surgery, but everyone in my family is against it, saying i am not in the financial position to do it, and i don't need it - even though they don't realise how much it affects me. So now i am caught in the middle, do i do it?? or , should i learn to accept my body. It has just bothered me my whole life, hiding away. I don't wanna hide away anymore!! Please help me to put everything into perspective

thanks

Dear runningnun,
Actually, I think there are different aspects to consider here. One is the purely physical. Some breasts are indeed unusually large, to the point that ( seriosuly ) they can cause backache and discomfort to the owner, and yhey may be beyond the point that even the most ambitious man might lust for. In such cases, surgery is possible, to diminish the overall size of the breasts, towards a more convenient size --- but complications can occur, and the result isn't always what you may have hoped for.
The other important aspect is that your attitude towards your breasts may be the main actual cause of your unhappiness --- maybe developing noticeable breasts so young caused embarassment, etc, at school ( kids can be so darn cruel ) --- and this may have left you with an unhappiness focussed on your breasts. But this needs to be dealt with in counselling, otherwise you could have your breasts halved or quartered in size, by te most exquisitely artistic surgery --- and STILl feel uncomfortable and embarrassed about them. Seeking a physical remedy without the mental remedy can enlarge the problem, and the wise plastic surgeon asks you to get a psychiatric assessment before seriously considering surgery.
Generally, plastic surgery is little available except in the expensive private sector. But if the breasts are truly too large for your own health and comfort, it is possible that the plastic surgeons attached to your nearest medical school might be prepared to consier surgery at the more affordable state, means-tested, rates.
And finally, Eve raises some important points ( sorry if that sounds like a pun !) --- breasts can be perked up and improved by exercise, not only as part of some gneral fitness and weightloss, but by some focus on the muscles underlying them, improving their infrastructure, as it were.

3
Posted by: eve | 2004/01/28

do you go to the gym? thats where i found my saggy boobs firming up i promise you that is the best instead of going under surgery and through that pain, i also consider "chopping" them off but a family friend had them reduced and when i saw the scars and the pain she was in i changed my mind.I promise you ,you cant go wrong with the gym thing try it. Good luck and dont obsess over them men love big boobs, consider yourself lucky.

Reply to eve
Posted by: Sugar | 2004/01/28

I say if this is truly making you unhappy, then have a breast lift. A friend of mine had her boobs enlarged and she was only in the hospital for a couple of hours and didn’t suffer any problems, she felt great afterwards and loves them.
Remember this is not about anybody else but you, if it makes you unhappy then do it for yourself. If it is this important to you try your best to save as much as you can.
Its your money, your life and your body. If you can manage not to tell your family then don't. Also remember that having this op will not miraculously make everything in your life right. Some people seem to think that cosmetic surgery will land them better jobs, friends, social lives etc, etc. So if it’s just about your boobs...you go for it!!!

Reply to Sugar
Posted by: 007 | 2004/01/28

Dolly Parton never became a multimillionare because of her voice only.
Too many women regret having done boob jobs and if you see the horrific surgical blunders that I have, you will never go near a scalpal, Dear.
All men love big boobs -- Why not just let them hang in there?

Reply to 007