Posted by: Emma | 2008/08/14

Not coping.....

Hello CS,

Lately I feel I am not coping with my life and I don' t know how to change it for the better. I just want to sit here and cry, I feel so helpless, hopeless and pathetic.

The main problem is lack of money, I can hardly aford to buy food these days. So there is no money for meds, doctors, or therapy. My car also forever needs repairing.

I have thought of moving into a home for disabled adults (I have cp and live alone). At least I would not have the worries that are getting me down now. But my family think I would be bored living in a home. Besides which I don' t know where to start looking for a home for adult CP. On the internet I can only find homes for the mentally disabled.

I know this sounds terrible coming from a 50 year old adult but I wish I had someone to take care of me as I am not coping alone.....

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

There is, indeed a major lack of suitable facilities for any and all of us who are challenged, physically and/or mentally. In the situation you describe, there could be elements of two scenarios --- one is that you have become Depressed ( a very treatable condition ) which drastically reduces one's ability to cope with any challenges and makes one gloomy and pessimistic and inclined to give up ) and the other is that there is no disgrace in recognizing that in certain situations we do indeed need and deserve some appropriate help.
I'm hoping one of our other CP oriented regulars will respond here. I understand CP Mom is unwell at present, but recently there was discussion of a CP organization in SA which apparently provides good advice and services, and which you should check out ( maybe try google ? ) There are many possibilities, apart from a home, there are some facility styles like a group home where several people share a home and the chores and activities ; maybe sharing with one other ordinarily-able or CP person ; and so on.
Explore getting a psych assessment and advice from your nearby medical school or major state clinic --- they are supposed to provide proper psych services to everyone.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.