Question
Posted by: Jackie | 2007/02/28

Nose Bleeds, 10 year old child

My son, currently 10 years old, gets frequent nose bleeds. What could be the cause, and should I be concerned about it. Should I take him to our GP for a general check up? He also suffers from Migraines occasionally.

Dear jackie
This is usually caused by a sensitive vein in the front of the nose - your GP will be able to see and cauterize this if needed. If he is an allergic child, it can also be caused by dryness of the nose - get him some saline nose spray or put bactroban ointment in his nose. If he is a sickly child his blood clotting factors need to be checked.

1
Posted by: anxious | 2007/02/28

Yes take him to your gp. He may need cauterising, which would have to be done by an ENT. My step-dad had persistent bad nose bleeds a few years ago and was sent to an ENT for cauterising and hasn't had problems since.

If you are in JHB, I am sure this heatwave doesn't help either!

Reply to anxious