Question
Posted by: LEN | 2005/07/04

nOSE

Good day dr

I wanted to ask if it is serious if i cant smell anything,not anytinh
it feels like only if it is very close to me then but most of the times
evertying seems so far.

Is this dangerous ,the other view is my unner nose is always swollen can this be because of sinus ,because I curenly are using a antihistamine prescribed by ENT.And he also told me
its a bit swollen.What is the cause should I be afraid.

Regard

len

Len, not being able to smell is called anosmia. Although sinusitis is a common cause of anosmia, it’s not the only cause. Congenital anosmia occurs as part of Kallmann’s syndrome, but you didn’t mention any other problems, so I don’t think it’s the problem. The causes of anosmia can be sub-divided under the following headings:
1. Swelling/obstruction in the nasal passages
2. Damage to the olfactory neuroepithelium by viruses, drugs, systemic disease or tumours
3. Damage to the olfactory nerve by head trauma, intracranial surgery, infections or tumours
If the ear, nose and throat specialist can’t find a reason for it, you will have to look at the other options. The next specialist to see would be a specialist physician and then maybe a neurologist. Good luck.