Question
Posted by: LOU-LOU | 2005/01/08

NORMAL OR NOT?

Is it normal for a new born baby from birth to about two months to continually have salvia running from his mouth and the tongue hanging out? Could this be a possibility that the child could have some underlying metal disability that could become transparent at a later stage? I have never seen babies with their tongues out and saliva running constantly unless they where teething or mentally disturbed.

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Lou-lou

I agree that this does not seem normal. I suggest the baby is taken to a paediatrist to exclude or confirm a diagnosis of a genetic condition such as Down's syndrome, which is caused by en extra chromosome 21.

Regards, Maritha