Question
Posted by: Sleepy! | 2003/02/20

Non-productive sleep

Doc, how does one get into productive sleeping? I am 35 and sleep between 6 and 8 hours per night. Rephrase - go comatose for that period: I sleep dead. I do not recall dreaming and can be carried out with the bed if I were to be burgled. Yet, I struggle getting up and get periods of intense drowsiness during the day. My first guess would be a little iron deficiency for the drowsiness by day, but anemia not that common in men as far as I know. I suspected a little depression, but have been on St John's Wort now for long enough (we talk months) without any change that I doubt that possibility too.

Any possible clues I can hunt down and investigate?

Sleepy, being tired can be a symptom of almost any disease and it is one of the most common complaints heard by doctors. The best would be to see your doctor and have him do a good physical examination and a couple of screening blood tests (full blood count, urea and electrolytes, liver function test, thyroid function test, blood glucose and a urine dipstick). You should make sure you get enough exercise (3-4 times a week), follow a balanced diet and try to go to bed at the same time every night. If you have a depressed mood, taking St. John’s wort won’t be enough.
I wrote something about how to have a good night’s sleep a while ago and if you’re interested in a copy, you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.