Question
Posted by: Pieter | 2008/01/22

Non Hodgskins Lymph Cancer

Hi there doc,

My mom at 60 has been diagnosed with NHLC. She has decided not to go for any therapy or treatment as she doesn't want to prolong her suffering. She has been given about 9-12mths to live and I asked her to move in with me as my dad is almost always away on business somewhere in the world.

All I want to know is; What to expect? I have tried to read as much literature on the subject as possible but there are +- 40 types of Lymph cancer.

At the moment she suffers of severe night sweats, periods of disorientation and she has lost a lot of weight.

Thx for any input!

Dear Pieter
See this link for a booklet on Non Hodgkins lymphoma: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/non-hodgkins-lymphoma
Important points:
Find out where your nearest Hospice is – the sisters there will be able to give you excellent tips on how to manage some of the worst symptoms
Patients with end stage cancer are usually not hungry – try smaller meals more often or Lucozade made into ice blocks to suck if she does not want to eat
She may be at high risk for infections – treat all symptoms of infection ( flu/colds etc) early!
The two most important things are to keep her comfortable and pain free, even if it means she needs Morphine at a stage
Complications to expect: if the cancer involves lymphatic tissue within the abdomen the belly may become swollen, and even resemble pregnancy . Fluid may build up within the abdominal cavity, and swelling near the intestines may block the normal passage of feces. Such blockage may cause sensations of abdominal pressure or pain. Pressure on the airways can lead to coughing, fatigue, shortness of breath, and other respiratory difficulties. They can also develop severe itching of the lower legs and feet – sunlight and cortisone cream may help.
Keep me posted on how she does ?

1
Posted by: Pieter | 2008/01/23

Thx doc, will do.

Reply to Pieter