Question
Posted by: lizelle | 2007/12/05

non existing bowel movement

I have a healthy diet, consisting of fruit, vegitables, lots of grain cerials, and I drink 6 glasses of water per day, but stil I only have 1 bowel movement every 2 weeks, is there anytihing I should be worried about, and what can I do to change this.

Dear Lizelle
It is perfectly normal for some people to only have a bowel movement every few days. There is no rule that says that you Have to have a bowel moment every day, but modern life and adverts seem to stress this idea which makes people who do not have daily bowel movements feel somehow guilty. If you can, however, not achieve a bowel movement without taking a harsh laxative, then I would recommend that you rather increase your dietary fibre intake by using wheat bran (buy at chemist) at the rate of 2 tablespoons per day. But dont' star off with 2 T, rather increase your intake gradually starting with 1 teaspoon per day over your cereal in the mornings and then add another teaspoon every few days so that your body can get used to the increased fibre intake. If this does not improve matters within 6 weeks, then I would recommend that you have a medical checkup to see if you suffer from irritable bowel syndrome. In the meanwhile click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read Articles 123 and 124 about healthy colon practices and what to eat to keep your colon healthy. The information about using boiled dried fruit and probiotics ('good microorganisms') is particularly helpful.