Question
Posted by: Azi | 2007/06/05

Noisy/crackling joints

I'm 35 years old and I've lived with very noisy (crackling/popping) knee joints since my teens. My problem is that it now seems like all my joints are doing this. Even turning my head around I can here/feel my kneck popping. Elbows, shoulders, ankles, hips, spine. They're all in on it. I'm not just talking about the sound when you crack your knuckles (which I don't do), but a real crackling sound. In some jonts it's a permanent feature (I can move the joint as much as I like and just keeps on making the sound), on others it seems to come for a few hours and then go away.

It's seriously starting to irriate me, especially with my kneck, and I was wondering if there was something I can do to get it to stop.

Dear Azi
the noise you hear is probably caused by the cartilage or ligaments moving over each other. It can also be caused by arthritis ( a more crunchy kind of noise). If you have swollen, read or sore joints, it is advisable to go for x/rays to see if there is joint damage.
Glucosamine supplements for 6 months may be an option but is not scientifically proven yet - see
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/supplements/a/glucosamine_2.htm