Question
Posted by: Twoflower | 2007/02/25

Noisy neighbour

My neighbour, aside from admittedly frequently looking over the 6ft high dividing wall, bragging that she saw my 3 kennels, etc. Is busy with construction. I work from home, so I can tell you that they only do the grinding and drilling on Saturdays and Sundays. I saw the article about the official hours not allowed:
• Sundays and public holidays
• Before 06H00 and after 17H00 on Saturdays
• Before 08H00 and after 18H00 on any other day than those listed above.

Please tell me where I can find the document/legislation outlining these laws, and how to amicably manage an unreasonable, apparently over stressed neighbour.
Im ready to start throwing eggs over the wall.
Help please.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Even the legal kind of neighbourhood construction noise can really ruin your peace and leisure time, and you shouldn't have to put up with it one second over the prescribed periods.

As I see from your second posting you're in Cape Town, I suggest you email Michael.McSweeney@capetown.gov.za - he deals with noise pollution matters at City Health - and ask him for the best way to proceed. What I would recommend is that you write your neighbour a simple, polite letter. Then, if you have no joy, lodge a formal complaint with your local environmental health practitioner (call City Health at 400 2100 and ask them to put you in touch with the right person for your area), or ask Mr McSweeney.

2
Posted by: Twoflower | 2007/02/25

Thank you so much for your response JL. However, she has complained that ALL the flies in Milnerton (baring in mind that there is a race-course nearby) are as a result of my dogs - and the resulting faeces. She has told me that I changed my cell number to avoid her (Ive never changed my cell number,which i gave her when i moved in) and that she has rung my doorbell and I havent answered even tho my car was there (I pointed out that I sometimes walk, and other times even get collected to go out, so the presence of my car is not an indication as to whether I am home or not - didnt bother telling her that my doorbell doesnt work)
Anyway, since Ive got rid of the elephants, she should have no reason to complian about me. No really, the point is that I am a single mom, and am truly nervous about approaching these people, who continually harass me.
I think, Im going to continue my research into the legislations, write them a letter, and beg that they comply with the law and common respect and decency. Then sit back and await a knee-jerk response from them complaining about something that I do.
Sigh....oh to have an intimidating disposition.
I just wish that the cops would help people out with these problems, especially people like me - desperate and on the verge of commiting GBH and GHH (Grievous House Harm)
Twoflower

Reply to Twoflower
Posted by: JL | 2007/02/25

Difficult situation requiring much tact! Wonder why she is stressed?

How about approaching her and asking whether your dogs (3 kennels so I assume you have dogs in them. Or maybe chickens? If it is hyenas or elephants then I doubt the situation can be resolved amicably......) cause her any annoyance? Once you are chatting it would be easier to enquire about the work she is having done. Admire it and then you will be able to ask when it will finish as it is very noisy. Then offer her some free fresh eggs.

Might not work but is surely a better alternative than the present.

Reply to JL