Question
Posted by: Mandi | 2007/12/03

Noisy dachshund

Hi All,

I’m posting this question on behalf of a friend of mine;

She has a dachshund who is extremely focal. When they get home in the afternoons the dog whines, cries, yelps and it basically sounds as if someone is murdering her. My friend is okay with this, as they just ignore her and the moaning stops fairly quickly. A couple of weeks ago she adopted two kittens and she has been slowly getting her dog adjusted to the kittens, but the problem is that Gypsy (the dog) moans and yelps non-stop as soon as she sees the kittens. She doesn’t charge them or bite them, but she will lie on the couch and whine continuously. When we visited them over the weekend, the whining carried on for about four hours. (A neighbour actually came to check if the dog was okay) She doesn’t want to keep Gypsy outside permanently (which I fully understand) because she has always been an inside dog. At one point we both felt like shoving a sock in her mouth. She’s had the kittens for about three weeks now so Gypsy should have gotten over the excitement already. What advice can you give, please?

It sounds like a separation problem. The kittens being there means they get more attention and the dog less which may be the same as being separated from her owners. Using a DAP vapourizer in the home may be helpful in getting her less agitated. Also try to get the kittens incorporated as soon as possible so they interact with the dog.

1
Posted by: Carol | 2007/12/03

A bit of training would also help.

Reply to Carol