Question
Posted by: ST | 2007/06/21

No weight loss

Good day doc,

I have been eating a low GI diet that was prescribed by a dietician for the past 2 months and have exercised 3 days a week for 30 minutes. I have been diagnosed with insulin resistance and PCOS. My BMI is 42 at the moment. In the past 2 months I have gained 11kg. I don't know what can be wrong? I went to the doc and he had me tested for a thyroid problem, but that checked out and is normal. Is it possible that after years of yo-yo dieting I'm unable to loose weight? I have joined WW and have been ensuring that my low GI diet is within my daily points. Any ideas?

Dear ST
I am sorry to hear that you have as yet not started to lose any weight despite the low-GI diet and doing some exercise. It is unfortunately true that some patients with insulin resistance (IR) and PCOS do struggle to lose weight even if they use low-GI diets. I think you need to discuss this lack of weight loss with your dietitian and the dr who diagnosed you. You may need to take medications such as Glucophage for the IR and reduce the energy and fat contents of your diet (the dietitian will advise). Recent research has indicated that you need to increase your exercise to 30 min a day if you want to see results with resistant overweight, so do try and increase how long you exercise and do it every day if possible.
Holding thumbs that you can make a breakthrough.