Question
Posted by: Pix | 2004/01/12

No vegetable Diet

My boyfriend is 20. For most of his life he has utterly refused to eat any vegetables whatsoever. He meticulously picks out any and all vegetables from his food. He is pale and thin. Everyone tells him that omiting vegetables from his diet is very unhealthy. Just how unhealthy is it? I have also noticed light yellow spots on the white of his eyes. Can this be from a lack of a certain type of vitamin?

Dear Pix
Vegetables are such wonderful foods - they contain vitamins, minerals, dietary fibre and bioflavonoids - all of which keep us healthy and prevent degenerative diseases. Nutrition experts the world over recommend that we should all eat AT LEAST 5-A-DAY of fruit and vegetables for optimum health. Does your boyfriend eat any fruit? If so, this would compensate to a certain extent for the lack of the vegies. If he does eat fruit encourage him to eat it more regularly and in a greater variety. I am not sure what the spots in his cornea are due to and it would be advisable for him to have a checkup - just to make sure that his precious eyes don't get damaged.