Question
Posted by: No trust | 2005/12/10

No trust due to being abused as a child.

I was sexually abused on a few different occasions as a child. The first time aged 9 and more seriously when I was a teenager.
I have been married for 30 years and have three adult children. My difficulty is that I categorise my husband with all other men, of whom I have a low opinion. As my husband nears the age of my abusers I increasingly distrust him even though he gives me no reason to do so and I believe he is a good honest and faithful man. It now creates tension in our relationship. How can we obtain help?

Hello, nt,
Yes, one of the most unfortunate potential efects of being abused / molested as a child, is an enduring sense of mistrust of anyone like the an\buser in any way --- an unfortunate over-generalization, surely, and highly inconvenient. Counselling with a CBT-style therapist can however clear this up, and let both you and your family live happier lives.